Thursday, March 6, 2008

School Days

My morning view at SLP Seongdong-Gu, buried in books and tea mugs...

I begin my day overlooking my lesson plans for my Intensive Pre-School kids at my wee little cubicle in the teacher's room. Can you tell it's mine? Any tell-tale signs of Ella-dom (I think Cash gives it away)?
The bell rings and I run off to Cassiopeia classroom with a basket of markers, pencils, erasers, books and papers aflutter.
I'm with the little ones born in 2001 from 10am-2:30pm, working on phonics, conversation, stories, and of course, lunch and snack (which is indeterminable most days, all school lunches regardless of region are the least appetizing shit you'll ever see!). Below you will see the example of a good day ;-)















For a moment after lunch I catch my breath overlooking the Lemon Plaza parking lot and the streets of Wangshimni. The day taunts me as a fall away into looking outside where it's damned cold, it's so strange to not yet be acquainted with the city I live and work in. Behind windows and crayons, I'm locked away Monday- Friday, 9-5. The first week of school sucks all us teachers in as we've got oodles of planning and zero knowledge of what they hell we're doing.
Some quick xeroxes of coloring worksheets always save my ass, when in doubt let 'em color I say.



They sure are cute and aside from the booger picking and kindergarten naughtiness, I love my kids and they love their Ella Teacher.



2 comments:

The Killer (That's Ms. Killer to you) said...

Corduroy and Cash? These kids have the best teacher EVAH!

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I don't know if you will see this post. But if so, can you please email me: kellermanr@vcu.edu I was offered an interview with SLP in Seondong-gu, and was wondering if I could talk with you about your experiences?

-Rebecca