Sunday, March 9, 2008

Underground blissing out

Best dive bar I've EVER EVER been too is in the basement of Ann's apartment in Hyundae. Up from the neon, past the park, down a dark alley, step over the puddles of puke, down two flights of cement stairs and you're there.
Glass vendor fridges stocked with Cass, Budweiser, Heineken that you serve yourself like Barcelona tapas toothpicks- you're charged at the end of the night by the amount of bottles accumulated at your table.

The albums and poster paraphernalia of the Velvet Underground, Neil Young, the Pixies, Fugazi, Kings of Convenience, and Elliot Smith adorned the cranberry cement walls. Scratch paper and thick black drawing pens neatly placed at each table for sketching and thumb tacked pieces from previous patrons fluttered like moths beside the humidifier blowing in the distance as the music gets louder and louder and LOUDER until you have to drink more to drown out the noise.




Ann and her man sat chain smoking under a desk lamp along the wall of music where she played the most amazing set from her personal library. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Rolling Stones, Pixies, Gorillaz remixes I'd never heard before, Radiohead... it was in-fucking-credible!
I decided to slide through the chairs and trailing cigarette smoke to the music library and check out her next selection- write it down for Ann and if she's feeling it, maybe just maybe your musical taste will flavor the room.



I love that good music can cross any language barrier and you can swap cds (I'm making her a mix of The Airborne Toxic Event and some Rodrigo y Gabriela in exchange for what love my ears feasted upon).

So needless to say, I enjoyed the Hite, I mean night... being underground, undercover.

I came home and researched one of the bands that I got turned on and in to from last night and found a youtube blip with a live performance of the song. The Liars' "The Visit From the Drum" won't leave my blood, it just keeps tapping in my brain and i want to make my way back to the best little piece of underground, really underground bliss.

Please enjoy:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that singer reminds me of one of my early 529 house mates. mitch. in a way that leaves a faint taste of saltpetre in my mouth.